Thursday, July 9, 2009

Are you my mother?





Do you remember that book Are You My Mother? I named these cuppies with bird nests after that book.... mostly because of the baby bird eggs. I decided to blog about these cupcakes today because apparently a stray bird somehow found its way into my room... when all of the windows were closed. Weird.

Anyway, these are very cute cuppies and SO easy to make! You can use any kind of cupcake (I used chocolate). Frost the cuppies with any kind of frosting you like, darker to look like dirt/twigs (for example... chocolate!).

Needed Ingredients:
  • One bag of thinly cut unsweetened coconut
  • Cocolate covered eggs
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. thinly spread coconut onto a cookie sheet
  3. Put the coconut in the oven.
  4. Watch the coconut carefully. It doesn't need to be in there long to get toasted.
  5. Take the coconut out and then sort of stir the coconut with a wooden spoon so that the untoasted side of the coconut is showing. This isn't an exact science, and your nests will look more authentic
  6. Remove coconut from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet. Turn off the oven
  7. Carefully cut the chocolate eggs in half. This was sort of difficult for me to do. They look better if they aren't cut exactly in the center. This is not really a great activity to let kids do.
  8. Carefully arrange the toasted coconut on the cupcake to look like nests. Make an outside circle that is higher up than the center.
  9. Place the two halves of the chocolate eggs in the center of the cupcake. Arrange them so each cupcake looks a little different.
Viola! I hope that you enjoy your Are You My Mother cupcakes :)


This picture is also from the Spring into Cupcakes party :) Each platter of cupcakes had a name-tag and a short description.



2 comments:

  1. yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum.

    andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw these! Adorable!!! Jamison loved this book when he was really little--I used to have it memorized!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis