Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ladybugs in a grassy field


These are cupcakes that I made inspired by Martha Stewart's Ladybug Cupcakes. Unfortunately all of these pictures were taken with my camera phone, so the quality is pretty crummy (and unfortunately for my facebook friends I don't have any additional photos to add!).

These are soooo easy to make! Don't be intimidated by the grassy part - it's a lot easier than it looks!

Martha's version calls for ladybugs made from marzipan. My attempts at coloring the marzipan were a complete disaster! I ended up with red fingers and gross looking lumps of almond paste. It went directly into the trash.

Instead, make the ladybugs from m&ms! I used red coated chocolate candies that I bought from the bulk candy section at Meijers. I then used some black gel icing that comes in those ready-made tubes from the baking section of the grocery store... since it was easy.



It takes some time to get the hang of it, but just carefully put the gel icing onto the red candy to make it look like ladybugs. I let the frosting harden before I put them on my cupcakes.


Nooooow for the grass! I am doubtful if it would looks as good without a grass tip (#233 - it's also called a hair tip). I found the tip at Michael's craft store with another tip for less than two dollars together. I used buttercream frosting, since it shapes pretty easily. Simply fill an icing bad (or gallon ziplock bag with the tip inside) and start from the middle and move outwards. Put the tip perpendicular to the cupcake and squeeze out icing. Move tip up away from the cupcake and release pressure. I liked how when I went fast the grass looked sort of messy. You want to vary the "blades" of grass so it doesn't look too uniform.

And that's it! See? Easy :) I definitely want to make these again, but maybe I'll flavor the buttercream lime or something like that.



PS- if you shop at Michael's, it's worthwhile to be on their e-mail list because you get a 40% coupon just about every week!!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis