Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Beer Cupcakes (part I)


Many great discoveries throughout time have been discovered upon accident. Penicillin, arguably one of the most important advances of medicine, was found when Alexander Flemming noticed that a petri dish of staph had erroneously been left uncovered and mold got to it.

Thus, it is in the spirit of such accidental wonders that I created.... Beer Cupcakes!

I was supposed to be making chocolate Guinness cupcakes. After I put the first dozen in the oven and I started cleaning up, I realized that I mistakenly omitted the coco powder! I had been wondering why I felt so woozy after just tasting the batter and why on earth it was so liquid.

At any rate, I had 4 kind men taste test for me. They said that you could taste the stout and that it had a "bite." They liked it, even when compared with the chocolate Guinness cuppies that I finally made correctly (to be posted in the near future).

And now you, too, can share in my discovery :)

Beer Cupcakes - makes 3 dozen
  • 1 1/2 cup Guinness
  • 1 stick + 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
  2. Put Guinness and butter into a saucepan and with medium heat melt the butter together with the beer. Allow to cool
  3. In a large bowl, mix the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla together on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and well combined.
  4. In a separate bowl, stir together the sugar, four, baking soda, and salt.
  5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the butter-beer mixture to the large bowl with the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well after each addition. The final product will be a lot more fluid than most cupcake batters.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 of the way with the batter. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.


The cupcakes come out a really pretty brown color... and they taste like beer!


I then frosted them with a Guinness-Vanilla Frosting, which for some weird reason I didn't photograph.

Guinness-Vanilla Frosting - enough for 36 regular cupcakes
  • 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
  • 6 cups of confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoon + 3 teaspoon Guinness
  1. Cut the butter into pieces and beat on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
  2. Slowly add the confectioners sugar to the butter. Mix well after each addition. It should be sort of crumbly looking
  3. Add the vanilla. Mix.
  4. Add the Guinness (you may add more or less of this depending on the taste and consistency you desire). Mix well.


That's it! They were pretty yummy, even if you aren't a huge beer drinker. Stay tuned for the chocolate Guinness cupcakes (with pictures of the frosting recipe that is posted here)! For now.... I'm off to clinic :)

2 comments:

  1. These are such a pretty color! Love that you finally screwed something up!!!!!!!!!! Although it sounds like they turned out anyway... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes were a big hit with the guys. The beer flavor showed. You might/might not b able to taste the beer but cam def. Smell it. I told the guys that I put beer in it, n asked them to guess what beer it was. One guy was able to guess guinness. =] but list of them just said it tasted really good. I didn't try the frosting but will do so soon enough. Thanks for the accidental discovery =]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis