Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Beer Cupcakes Part II: Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes and Chocolate Mustaches






As I alluded to in my Beer Cupcake post, I had intended to make chocolate Guinness cupcakes. And after my little mishap of forgetting the cocoa powder, I was successful.

I created a recipe that was taken from various versions of chocolate stout cake and my own experience with what makes a good cupcake (for example, a little bit of salt). The cake was delicious! It didn't taste too much like beer, but really brought out the taste of chocolate. I used the same vanilla-Guinness icing as I did with the beer cupcakes

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes - makes approximately 2.5 dozen
  • 1 cup Guinness
  • 1 stick + 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Set oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with paper liners
  2. In a saucepan, melt butter together with Guinness. Stir. Allow the mixture to cool.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, vanilla and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is smooth.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the white and brown sugar, cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
  5. Alternate combining the dry mixture and the Guinness-Butter mixture into the bowl with the sour cream, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well after each addition until the ingredients are well-combined.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way with batter.
  7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted from the center of the cupcake comes out clean.

I made a nice pattern with the chocolate and plain beer cupcakes :) Unfortunately the picture is a little blurry!

Guinness-Vanilla Frosting - enough for 36 regular cupcakes
  • 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
  • 6 cups of confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon Guinness
  1. Cut the butter into pieces and beat on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
  2. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar to the butter. Mix well after each addition. It should be sort of crumbly looking.
  3. Add the vanilla. Mix
  4. Add the Guinness (you may want to add more or less for your desired taste and spreadability). Mix well.
I ended up making these cupcakes because Jordan and some of his friends have decided to all sport mustaches. I won't comment on that anymore.

So, I decided to make chocolate mustaches to put on top of the Guinness Cupcakes.


How to make chocolate mustache cupcakes:

You will need:
  • melting chocolate wafers
  • zip-lock bag
  • wax paper
  • mustache template (keep reading)

I did this by first making a template of a mustache on my computer and printing it out. I have no idea how to link that document to my blog (suggestions, anyone?) so that you can easily make them too. I printed out the template and then covered it in wax paper, like so:



I then took melting chocolate wafers (found in the grocery store or at Michaels) and put them in a zip lock bag and melted the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Then, I cut a small corner off the bag and traced the mustache design with the chocolate, like so:



I experimented with different ways to make the design, but it works best to try to continuously spread the chocolate onto the wax paper. To make the appearance of hair, use a fork to "brush" the mustache. It sounds silly, but it looks really good!

Repeat until you get as many mustaches as you would like. Allow the mustaches to dry on the wax paper.

When they are dry, carefully remove the wax paper from the back of the mustaches and place on a cupcake. Ta-da! That's it. So easy. So yummy. So ... mustache-y. I used some gel icing to make eyes so the cupcakes ended up turning out looking a little too much like the character on the Pringle's can.





And all together now:


1 comment:

  1. I made these for my office - and they were such a hit! The chocolate ones definitely do not taste as much like Guinness, but are still delicious. The cupcakes had great texture, too, and were definitely not dry at all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis