Friday, August 28, 2009

Coconunt Cupcakes



Not so long ago I purchased a new cupcake book, the Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook. It's an Australian bakery, and I don't have any cupcake books from Australia (that's how I rationalized the purchase, anyway). So I added it to my ever growing library.



The book has gorgeous images of cupcakes with adorable titles, but unfortunately many of the measurements are in grams, and I don't own a baking scale. I converted the recipe to cups, which meant some alterations in the recipe since it was late at night and I was ridiculously tired from rounding all day.

The cake tasted delicioso! It had a nice light coconut flavor. The accompanying marshmallow frosting recipe was a complete disaster. In fact, while in the process a bottle of olive oil spontaneously combusted. It was a bad omen, so I just started over and used a recipe from the Martha Stewart website that had worked for me in the past. Smother the frosting in unsweetened coconut and you have a nice little coconut vacation!


Coconut Cupcakes - adapted from the Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Book
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 1/3 cups cake flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 7/8 sticks of butter, unsalted at room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 tablesoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners
  2. Use a food processor to shred the coconut into very fine pieces.
  3. Combine the coconut , flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium sized bowel. Stir until the contents are well mixed
  4. In a separate small bow, combine the eggs and egg whites. Do not mix!
  5. In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fliffy with an electric mixter on low-medium s peed. Add the sugar slowly, beating after each addition until well mixed. Once all of the sugar is added, keep on mixing until it is soft and fliffy and the sugar is mostly dissolved
  6. Add the eggs in four parts. Mix well after each addition.
  7. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
  8. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low-medium speed until combined.
  9. Add the coconut milk and mix until combined.
  10. Add the rest of the flour and mix until you get a homogenous batter.
  11. Fill cupcake liners 1/2-3/4 full with the batter.
  12. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.



I made mini-cupcakes. I reduced the baking time to fifteen minutes and then checked them. I covered them in a thin layer of the marshmallow frosting and put some shredded coconut into a bowl. I lightly pressed the cupcakes into the coconut so they had a nice even layer of topping.


And beause I love playing with color saturation:



I think that these might also be cute with a little marzipan coconut on top. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis