Thursday, August 27, 2009

Koala Yummies



Do you remember koala yummies? Those little koala shaped cookies filled with chocolate? I used to dream that those would be a special treat in my lunch. Alas, I don't know that I have ever had them.

At any rate, I have devised my own koala yummies! And of course, they are cupcakes. This was my first attempt and the frosting wasn't as stiff as I would have liked. I used marshmallow, but I think that buttercream or cream cheese would have made the creation of the ears a lot easier.




Here's how to make your own Koala Yummies:

  • Black candy for nose (I used licorice jelly beans)
  • Black icing or writing gel or small black candy for the eyes
  • Small pink candy for the inside of the ears (I used cotton candy jelly bellys)
  • Shredded coconut
  • Grey frosting (preferably buttercream or cream cheese)
1. Cover cupcake in a layer of grey frosting.

2. Add a layer of shredded coconut (this is the fur!)

3. Add the nose.


4. Add the eyes. The one in the picture below has eyes that are a little too big, I think.


5. Place the pink candies on the side where you want the inside of the ears to be.

6. Cover the sides of the candy with a little more frosting and add more coconut. This is to make the ears look more 3D. This doesn't look that great in my picture since I was working with frosting that was too runny, unfortunately.


Aww.... if only I had some bamboo for the little guys. I think that it might look even better on mini cupcakes since some of my koalas had pretty big chins!




3 comments:

  1. These are very cute! Delicious, too, I'll bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Carly! This site is adorable and a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis