Do you remember koala yummies? Those little koala shaped cookies filled with chocolate? I used to dream that those would be a special treat in my lunch. Alas, I don't know that I have ever had them.
At any rate, I have devised my own koala yummies! And of course, they are cupcakes. This was my first attempt and the frosting wasn't as stiff as I would have liked. I used marshmallow, but I think that buttercream or cream cheese would have made the creation of the ears a lot easier.
Here's how to make your own Koala Yummies:
- Black candy for nose (I used licorice jelly beans)
- Black icing or writing gel or small black candy for the eyes
- Small pink candy for the inside of the ears (I used cotton candy jelly bellys)
- Shredded coconut
- Grey frosting (preferably buttercream or cream cheese)
1. Cover cupcake in a layer of grey frosting.
2. Add a layer of shredded coconut (this is the fur!)
3. Add the nose.
4. Add the eyes. The one in the picture below has eyes that are a little too big, I think.
5. Place the pink candies on the side where you want the inside of the ears to be.
6. Cover the sides of the candy with a little more frosting and add more coconut. This is to make the ears look more 3D. This doesn't look that great in my picture since I was working with frosting that was too runny, unfortunately.
Aww.... if only I had some bamboo for the little guys. I think that it might look even better on mini cupcakes since some of my koalas had pretty big chins!