Saturday, September 12, 2009

Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting



I one made a peanut butter cupcake a couple of years ago. It came out like a hard, yucky cookie. I have been apprehensive about trying to make them again since that baking disaster. However, I saw a recipe on Epicurious for a brownie cupcake with peanut butter frosting. Not only did it sound delicious, but I already had all of the ingredients at home. What, you don't keep whipping cream all the time in your fridge?



They came out deliciously dense and packed with chocolate. I made them into mini-cupcakes since all of the reviews noted that the cuppies were very sweet. It also turns out that I am not a huge fan of foods that make your teeth fall out when you bit into them. I therefore made a couple of changes to the recipe to decrease the sugar content a little bit. I also thought that they would be a nice little treat for people to have during our Friday afternoon lectures. Since the cake is closer to a brownie than a cupcake, you want to fill the liners pretty close to the top since they will not rise that much.



Brownie Cupcakes - adapted from Epicurious - Makes approximately 60 mini-cupcakes
  • 1 stick + 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature and cut into pieces
  • 2 + 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line mini-cupcake tins with paper liners
  2. In a double boiler, melt the butter, 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and all of the unsweetened chocolate. Use a wooden spoon to stir until everything is melted and mixed. It will look like a beautiful glassy chocolate pond when it's ready.
  3. Pour the chocolate into a large bowl over the two types of sugars and mix them together using a whisk.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time and mix using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix well after each addition.
  5. Add the vanilla. Mix well.
  6. Add the flour slowly, and mix well with the electric mixer.
  7. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
  8. Fill the cups close to the top with the batter.
  9. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.



I ate one right out of the oven because they smelled so good. I love eating baked goods when the chocolate chips inside are melty! These would be good even without frosting...... But that didn't stop me from putting the icing on the bake (BA DUM CHA).


Peanut Butter Frosting - Adapted from Epicurious
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2.5 - 3 cups of creamy peanut butter (without sugar added)
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • approximately 1/2 cup of whipping cream
  1. Cream together the peanut butter and butter together with an electric mixer. I wanted the frosting to be heavy on the peanut butter taste, so I used 3 cups. You can use less.
  2. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix well until uniform.
  3. Add the whipping cream one tablespoon at a time until the peanut butter becomes a suitable spreading consistency. I used quite a bit because I wanted to be able to pipe it. I also just poured it in slowly while mixing and didn't actually measure. I live on the edge like that.

Overall, I think that the cupcakes were a hit and a nice treat for my classmates. At least I hope that they were :) I added some chocolate graham cracker bunnies to top off the cuppies, but you could always use chocolate sprinkles.


11 comments:

  1. Yum. Peanut butter and chocolate...the best flavor mixture EVER! Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, these are just adorable! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me still likes chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to live in a house that has all those ingredients just lying around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely delicious! I love chocolate & peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone! It takes some time, but it's pretty easy to build up an arsenal of supplies. It might make the people who share a kitchen with you a little annoyed, however ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these the other night and they were a hit! very easy and very rich :) I couldn't find bunnies so I did teddy grahams super cute! :) I put the recipe on my blog thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss independent - I am glad that you had success with the cuppies! The bunnies are Annie's brand (you might be able to find them in the organic section of the supermarket).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there, I love the look of these. Just an FYI, but your recipe doesn't have the flour content listed. I got it from the Epicurious orginal recipe, but I thought you might want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sreneeger - Thanks for letting me know - What an oversight! I fixed the recipe. It reminds me of when I tried to make pumpkin bread after a huge exam and my brain was so fried that I put the bread in the oven... and it was only once it started bubbling that I realized that I forgot to add the flour! D'oh!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis