Sunday, September 27, 2009

Honey Cupcakes



Cupcakes that can be made with ingredients found around the house are perfect for those spontaneous cupcaking sessions.

After a long run of Epicurious recipes, I decided to go back to my trusty Martha Stewart book. I decided to have a go at some of her honey cupcakes. I didn't have any lemon around, so I made a slightly modified version.




Honey Cupcakes - Adapted from Martha Stewart - Makes 18
  • 2 cups all-purpouse flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs, room tempereature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners
  2. Combine floour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into a small bowl. Mix using a whisk.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and sugars on high speed with an electric mixer until pale and thick.
  4. Add the honey and mix until well combined.
  5. Add the milk and oil. Mix until well combined.
  6. Add the flour to the wet mixture in two batches. Mix until everything is just combined. Avoid overmixing.
  7. Fill the paper liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They will be golden brown when finished.

If you have any specialty honey around that you have been saving for something special, this would be the time to use it. However, I made them with clover honey from Trader Joe's and they still came out yummy!



I liked how the honey was a prominent flavor in the cake and that it was moist due to the vegetable oil. I complimented them with Wilton's buttercream frosting. I had never made the frosting before. It's very sweet, but great for piping. The honey cupcake isn't too sweet, so the pairing works well.



The whole time I was baking I was thinking about Winnie the Pooh. :)

4 comments:

  1. Umm...these sound great! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked your recipe last night and they are delicious! My boyfriend said they might be replacing his favorite chocolate cupcake. I love the consistency - I can't stand it when cupcakes crumble as you are trying to eat them. Tonight I am icing them with honey lavender icing for my Mom's birthday. If they turn out well, I will send you the recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Lane! I am so glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed the cupcakes :) How did the honey lavender icing come out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are really good !!! thanks for the receipe....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis