Saturday, September 26, 2009

We Missed the Boat: Lychee Cupcakes with Coconut Glaze



I have loved all of the cupcakes that I have made from the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World book. Vegan cupcakes are delicately moist in a way that is difficult to replicate in cupcakes with your typical egg and butter.

I finally found some canned lychee in the grocery store and decided to try some vegan lychee and coconut glaze cupcakes.



Perhaps my problem was that I messed with the recipe. I don't typically bake vegan, so I really have no place changing things around. The recipe calls for ground flaxseed. I couldn't find it, so I bought flaxseed thinking that I could just put it in the food processor. Um, wrong! It just made the little seeds fly around without changing them into a flour-like substance at all. I therefore substituted whole wheat flour for ground flaxseed.

At any rate, the cupcakes tasted just OK. They were doughy tasting and there was something off about the texture. They didn't pass the test to leave my kitchen. Sad.



Anyway, I took some nice pictures of the finished product. I guess I have learned my lesson not to change things around when I am unfamiliar with the ingredient! At least eating the leftover lychee was enjoyable :)Check Spelling

1 comment:

  1. If you want to try to grind flaxseed again, try grinding it in a coffee grinder. That's what I do in order to hide it in recipes so my kids will eat it. It works great.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis