Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cookies n Cream



Cookies n Cream used to be one of my favorite ice cream flavors. Ice cream plus cookies! What could be better than that? Surprisingly, I have never tried the cupcake version.

They turned out to be a big hit with my friends. Even Sara, who doesn't like cupcakes very much and certainly won't eat the frosting, ate the whole cupcake! Oreo cookies (or the off-brand equivalent) add a nice creamy texture to an otherwise vanilla cupcake. The frosting was also delicious with little pieces of cookies in it! I used parts of cookies to top them off, but using mini-Oreos would be the.... cookie on the cupcake! (Like frosting on the cake.... capito?)

I used a cupcake recipe from my first cupcake cookbook, Crazy About Cupcakes. My only complaint was that the order in which you were supposed to put the ingredients together was a little weird. I made a huge mess in my kitchen, but the ends justified the means in this case.

Tip: an easy way to make cookies n cream cuppies - just add 1 cup (or about 10 cookies) of "lightly crushed" chocolate sandwich cookies to your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. Or I guess box mix if you are going to forgo making it from scratch.





For the frosting, I modified a recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

Cookies n Cream Frosting - enough to generously cover 18 cupcakes
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup (about 5 cookies) finely crushed chocolate sandwich cookies
1. Beat the butter until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer on low-medium speed.
2. Add the confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time. As you add the sugar, it will become more and more clumpy.
3. Add the milk and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Stir in or beat in the cookie crumbs with an electric mixer.


This is definitely a recipe I'll want to make again!

Oh, and if you're really in a cookie lovin' mood, add a cookie to the bottom of each paper liner before filling it with batter :)



4 comments:

  1. i love cookies and cream! thanks for sharing!

    just one clarification: 1/2 ___ finely crushed chocolate sandwich cookies?

    thanks! can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai, thanks for the comment! Let me know how they come out :) Thanks also for pointing out my error. I fixed it - it now reads "1/2 cup (or about 5 cookies) finely crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I love cookies and cream. I'll have to try this one too. Oh and I'm making Halloween cuppies for a party I'm going to. I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these over Thanksgiving and they were a hit! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis