Thursday, December 24, 2009

Ain't No Mountain High Enough: Skier Cupcakes




Every year, my family is on a ski trip when it's my brother's birthday.  Jason happens to love skiing, and many of his birthday cakes from the local grocery store featured a skier figure, much like the one on the cupcake above.  About 1/3 of the time, Jason has selected a Yule Log cake for his birthday.  He likes the way they look, even though he dislikes the raspberry jam that's in it.  This year I thought ski-themed cupcakes would be perfect for his birthday.  What did he choose?



Sigh.

I always wonder what the people at the bakery think when they write "Happy Birthday" on a Yule Log.

Despite Jason not picking cupcakes for his birthday treat, I still wanted to make ski mountain cupcakes.  My family had a dinner date with some friends and so what would my contribution be?  Ski cuppies!



When we were at the grocery store getting the ingredients for the cupcakes, I asked the bakery counter if they would sell me some plastic skiers.  I got a cute little package of two plastic skiers and two pine trees.  Perfect!  I would make the rest of the cupcakes look like moguls with frosting and coconut.



Since I am not home, I used a box mix... again.  However, I added a cup of mini-chocolate chips to give it an extra burst of chocolate.  I used Martha Stewart's Fluffy Vanilla Frosting to top of the cuppies.  I used a knife to make a mound of frosting (my mom came over and demanded more frosting).  I dumped some sweetened shaved coconut into a shallow bowl and dipped the frosted cupcakes into the coconut to make the moguls look snowy.  If you have white/clear sanding sugar, you could use that instead of the coconut.


Chocolate cuppies hot out of the oven!

I used an extra dab of frosting to get the skier to stay.  Since I'm not with my SLR camera, my dad and I used our phone cameras to take the cuppies on a little photo shoot.



Would you like to make your own skier cupcakes?  You can purchase a skiier here or here and trees here.  You can even ask a local grocery store bakery if they will sell you some.




Oh, and did anyone notice the new Baa Baa Cupcake layout?  Do you like it?

2 comments:

  1. What cute cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a funny birthday tradition. I love the ski cuppies. They look great. The new blog layout is very cool too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis