Sunday, December 13, 2009

I like it when you call me big cuppy




Jordan bought be a Big Top Cupcake mold a couple of weeks ago.  Perhaps you have seen the commercial.  However, you might be like me and not own a TV and just have a blank stare when I say "big top cupcake."  It's a large silicone cupcake mold that is 25x the size of a regular cupcake! WHOA!

I actually don't tend to use silicone when I make my cupcakes, since the point of silicone is that you can reuse it and I never want to track down people after I give them a tasty treat.  However after using these molds I am now no longer afraid.  Just be sure to spray the mold with adequate cooking spray (or use the Wilton Cake Release, which works amazing) and your cake will easily pop out.

I used the mold for the first time yesterday to make a huge cuppy for Jordan's birthday.  He really enjoyed the Snickers Cupcakes that I made a little while back, so I decided to give it a shot at the big time.

Unfortunately, I have a big exam coming up next week and I just couldn't devote the time to making a full cake from scratch... so... I used box cake.  I really dislike box cake because it tastes a little bit like chemicals to me, but it's definitely a lot faster than gathering all of the ingredients from the store and around your kitchen.

To make the cake part, I used one box of Devil's Food Cake and then chopped up a bunch of fun sized snickers and put them in the batter.  I divided the batter evenly between the two halves of the Big Top cupcake mold.

After letting it bake for about 35 minutes, it was ready!


The big top!

First, I used a knife to level the two halves.  This is what was left over, which my roomies were happy to munch on:


I then made the chocolate malt frosting from the Snickers Cupcake recipe.  I noticed that I had a typo, which I corrected.  I sometimes write these posts when I am quite tired, so if something looks a little funny to you, let me know!  Otherwise I don't notice until I use my blog to make the recipes again.  Yep! I use this thing too :)

I then decided to take things a step further since the cupcake cake is a much larger canvas to use than a regular cupcake.  I wanted to make something to resemble the nougat inside an actual snickers bar.  I had some marshmallow fluff sitting around (I do a lot of impulse buying and therefore buy a lot of random things that I think might be useful for baking in the future).  This is what I came up with:

Faux Nougat Filling 

  • 1 1/2 cup Marshmallow fluff (this stuff sure is sticky! Go ahead and approximate)
  • 1 tsp butter, room temperature
  • Caramel Sauce
  1. Combine the fluff and the butter in a medium sized bowl.  Use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to mix it up.  As the fluff gets warm, it should mix better with the butter.
  2. I used a squeeze bottle of Caramel Sauce and I just sort of squeezed in some caramel without measuring.  Sorry.  But just sort of add it to taste.  I probably added a couple of tablespoons.
Ok, now you have the filling.  To fill the cupcake, take your frosting and squeeze out a ring of frosting along the bottom, which will create a dam to prevent the nougat goo from coming out.  You can use any large tip or a plastic zip-lock bag with the corner cut off.  Once you have your ring of frosting, pour in your faux nougat.  Mine looked like this:



Hooray! Ok, now place the top of your cupcake over it.



Bravo! Now it's looking like a cupcake.  Don't worry about the fact that there is a little space in between the top and bottom layer as you will cover it up with frosting.

I then used an off-set spatula to cover the top of the cupcake with frosting.  I then used a large star tip to make it a little more fancy looking.



And then another view from above:


I couldn't just let it be.  I had a lot more chopped up Snickers bars.  And more Caramel sauce!



Oh yea.  That's more like it!

The restaurant where we had dinner for his birthday kept it in the back and then brought it out as a surprise once we had all finished eating.  Jordan's first thought: "Wow, they serve giant cupcakes here?"  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  I can't wait to make more giant cupcakes in the future!

PS - The title is to be sung/said like you are the Notorious B.I.G.

2 comments:

  1. this looks awesome!!! GIANT CUPPIE! also, the website for that thing has a hilarious infomercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMM this is my fav! NOM NOM NOM!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis