Saturday, February 27, 2010

He Liked It So He Put A Ring On It Cupcakes


My friends Jess and Dan got engaged on Valentine's Day while cross-country skiing.  Basically, Dan liked it, so he put a ring on it.

Dan and Jess.... proposal part two with cuppy

I have been dreaming about making engagement cupcakes for my friends once they received the sparkly ring.  When I heard that Jess' mom was coming into town and that we would be going to a celebratory dinner, I knew that I wanted to surprise the happy couple and their guests with special cuppies.


Unfortunately, my surgery clerkship is coming to an end and that means that the available time for baking is between slim and none.  I had planned on making some candy diamonds and fastening them to fondant rings, but who has that kind of time?  I decided to take a trip to good 'ole Michaels and see what kind of goodies they had.  They have a whole wedding section that has cute little wedding bell candies and candy hearts and the like.  I found some "bling ring" candy that I decided would be a great accessory for an engagement cupcake.  You can purchase the exact candy rings that I used online here, but there are some similar rings here and a cocolate ring mold that would also be deliciously appropriate here.


I decided to go for a brownie cupcake with raspberry filling, mostly based on what I had around the house already and my desire for the cupcake frosting to be pink.  Chocolate and raspberry go so perfectly together... just like Jess and Dan!



Chocolate Brownie Cuppies - Adapted from Martha Stewart - Makes 12 Cupcakes
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature and cut into tablespoon pieces
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2  cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line a cupcake tin wtih paper liners.
  2. Using a double boiler (or a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water), melt the semisweet chocolate and butter together, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
  3. Once the chocolate and butter are melted and uniform, remove from heat.  Use a whisk to combine the sugar and salt to the mixture.  Whisk until smooth.
  4. Whisk in the eggs.
  5. Whisk in the flour and cocoa until just combined.  Don't even think about overmixing.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs.
  7. Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the tin and then remove and set to cool completely on a cooling rack.



These cupcakes really give of an incredible aroma.  The kind of aroma you would want during an open house.  Licking the bowl wasn't too terrible, either.


The raspberry frosting is from my lemon raspberry cuppies recipe.  I'll repost it here:

Baa Baa's Raspberry Frosting - enough to generously frost one dozen cupcakes
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter,room temperature and cut into pieces
  • 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 3 oz raspberries
  1. Cream the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy with an electric mixer
  2. Slowly add the confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time to the butter, mixing until well combined after each addition.
  3. Add the milk. Mix well.
  4. Add the raspberries to the mixture.  If you prefer to not have seeds, puree in a blender and remove the seeds with a strainer before adding. Beat with the electric mixer until completely combined. The frosting will turn a bright pink color. You can add more milk or sugar to get a desired spreading consistency, if necessary.

I just placed the candy rings on top of the cuppies.  The rings on top of the cupcakes were SUCH a hit! 



I named them "he liked it so he put a ring on it" cuppies.


Anuja had some fun wearing the candy ring.  She's into bling.


It was such a pleasure to be able to take part in such a special occasion in Jess and Dan's lives!  And what better way than to celebrate with a cupcake?  I'm also especially honored that they asked me to do their wedding cake!  There will definitely be updates as I experiment to find the perfect dessert for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis