Friday, March 19, 2010

Ambrosia Cake



So, as I have mentioned in a previous post, I am going to make my friends' wedding cupcakes/cake.  The wedding is a little ways away, so details haven't been worked out.  However, even if they decide on a cupcake tower, it will most likely have some sort of cutting cake on the top.  Basically, I like to think that I have mastered the little cake, but the big cake needs practice.

One of my favorite medical school professors is retiring and to show my appreciation I decided to make him a cake.  I settled on an Epicurious recipe for Ambrosia Cake.  It's an orange zest cake with layers of orange and lemon filling with seven minute frosting and toasted coconut.  Sounds delish, right?

Well, I wish that I could say that it was delish.  The negative of baking a cake is that you can't sneak a piece and hope no one will notice!  I did have some of the cake that was cut off while leveling the layers, and it was pretty good.  I sort of fell asleep at the wheel when making the filling and added too much corn starch, so maybe that's why I thought that the filling consistency was sort of weird.  Then again, I haven't made a lot of cake fillings before.

Toasted coconut!

At any rate, I won't repost the recipe as I just followed it online here.  The cake looks great, and wasn't too much of a hassle to make (but keep in mind that I get very into my baking - it did take a long time).  Plus, you don't have to worry about making your frosting look nice as the cake will be covered in coconut!

Here are some photos of the process:


The recipe said to use 9" rounds, but i used 8".  I imagine that the cake would be REALLY flat using 9"

After the cakes have cooled, you want to cut them both in half lengthwise so that you will end up with a four layer cake.  I have a really great Wilton Cake Cutter that I use (a similar one is here).


It can be a little messy, but you basically just use the device to saw through the cake.  You just need to make sure that you line up the wire with the notches on the side evenly :)

Here you can see the notches on the cutting device
Once you have your layers set, you just add some of the filling and keep alternating with the rest of the layers!



You get the idea.  Your finished, unfrosted cake with look something like this:


Don't forget that frosting is a very forgiving substance!  No one will be able to tell if your cake isn't quite even one it's all covered in frosting, like this:

7 minute frosting takes much longer than that to make
And then finally, press some of that coconut that you toasted all over the cake.


Ta da!  You have a very elegant cake.  Now, I need to master covering a cake on fondant...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis