Friday, March 26, 2010

Cuppysaurus Rex

t-rex cupcake with bones II

If there is one thing that you have learned about me from this blog, it's that I love to bake cupcakes.  Now, you will know that I loooove dinosaurs!  It's pretty surprising that in my (short) cupcake career that I haven't made dinosaur cupcakes yet.  Well, I have planned on making dinosaur cupcakes, but every time I buy little plastic dinosaurs to put on the cupcakes I decide that I don't want to part with them.  So I keep the dinosaur friends in my room and make a different kind of cuppy.  Is it obvious that I want to be a pediatrician?

However, I found a solution!  I purchased a great dinosaur chocolate mold so that I can make tiny chocolate dinos over and over again and not feel sad about giving them away.  I don't remember where I found it, but the exact one that I used is available online here.  Just don't bite their heads off in front of me (just kidding).

I have now made a couple of things that use a chocolate mold (for example, heart cupcakes) but I never post pictures of the process.  Hooray, it will be a mystery no longer!

Making chocolates with a mold:

1. Get out your chocolate wafer melts.  You can find them at a store like Michael's or a local cake decorating store (or online here).  They come in many different colors. 

chocoalte melting wafers

2.  Grab a handful and place them in a ziplock bag.  Leave the bag open.

chocolate melting wafers in a bag

3.  Microwave for 30 second intervals.  Squish the wafers around with your fingers to facilitate the melting.  Keep on zapping it until the chocolate is completely melted.

almost melted green chocolate
You can still see pieces of chocoalte that need to be melted... back into the microwave you go!

4. Once the chocolate has melted, push everything over to one corner of the bag and snip a very small corner off with scissors.

5.  Get out your (clean) chocolate mold.

dinosaur mold

6.  Use the zip-lock bag to fill each mold with chocolate.  You don't want to overfill the molds but be sure to use enough chocolate. 

filling the dinosaur mold with chocolate

7.  Tap the mold against the table to release any air bubbles that might be trapped.  You can allow it to harden on a coutnertop or in the freezer.

8.  Once the chocolate has completely hardened, gently turn the mold over and wiggle the plastic mold until the chocolates pop out.  They will come out very easily if the chocolate has solidified.  And voila!  Homemade chocolates!

chocolate dinosaurs

Using chocoalte molds are a very easy and inexpensive way to customize your cupcakes.  And everyone is always very impressed when you say that you made them yourself.

So just use your favorite cupcake and frosting recipe and go to town with your dinosaur decoration!  I had some bone sprinkles from a pirate sprinkle kit that I purchased a little while ago.  They made the T-rex cuppies look extra fierce.  But dinosaurs alone look great too!

three pink + dinos

I could have sworn that I purchased some candy rock decorations with dinosaur cupcakes in mind.  But try as I might, I couldn't find them in my kitchen.  It might be due to my poor baking supply organization skills.  Here's a snapshot of one of the areas in our kitchen where I keep my cupcake things:

my messy cupcake cabinet

It's ok.  My little cuppies didn't need them, anyway!  They were DINO-mite! ;-)

dinosaur cupcakes

Oh, and I put these dinos on mini cupcakes.  So the dinosaurs are actually quite small, as you can see:

i'm going to eat you!

But still fierce enough to take over my kitchen!

land before time

What's your favorite prehistoric reptile?

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome! I love using candy melts for decorating. It makes everything so easy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis