Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frogger


I recently went to a cake decorating store and found a really cute frog chocolate mold (just like this).  I purchased it, along with some green chocolate melts.  And then I quickly drove home to decorate some unfrosted cuppies that were waiting patiently in some tupperware.

You can use an edible marker to draw a face!

First, you need to make some frogs!  Take a handful of the chocolate melts and put them in an open zip-lock bag.  Melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals in the microwave.  Squish the chocolate with your fingers until it's melted.  Close the bag and snip a corner of the bag off.  Squeeze the chocolate into the frog mold.  Tap the mold on the counter to get the air bubbles out.  You can place the tray in the freezer to have the chocolate harden faster.

I just couldn't have frogs on my cupcake.  I wanted them in a pond, on a lily pad, with a flower.



First, color some frosting blue for the water.  Spread it on the cupcakes in a messy way.  Oh yeah, pond goodness.

Then, get out your fondant.  I use Wilton brand because it's easy to find in stores.  Tint a small portion green and roll it out into small, quarter size circles.  Use a knife to cut a small triangle out so that it looks like a lily pad.

My workstation.  Use some corn starch to keep your fondant from sticking when you roll it out.


Next, I used these Wilton daisy cut outs.  Not exactly a lily, but that's what I have!  I used the middle size cutter and just pressed it into the fondant.  If you want to get really fancy, you can have them dry on a plastic palette or an egg carton with some foil so that they fold up a little.  They should probably stay overnight, but I was impatient, so I only waited about 20 minutes.  You can see my attempt below:



And then assemble your frog on top of the lily pad (use a dab of frosting to get him to stick!) and place the flower next to the frog.  A pretty easy way to make ordinary cupcakes special.


Oh, and believe it or not, I have been to a frog concert.  Yup, in Ecuador. If you ever go to Mindo, it's a must see. It was exactly what it sounds like, but more magical.... just like these cuppies!

3 comments:

  1. I work with frogs! These look amazing! I'll have to give them a try and bring them to lab :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! These are so cute! I love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis