Monday, March 29, 2010

Passover Treats III - Baby Cheesecake Cuppies

IMG_4841

I am not really sure where baby cheesecakes lie in the whole muffin-cupcake-cake spectrum.  But I made them in a cupcake tin, they used cupcake liners, and they are in the Martha Stewart Cupcake Book.  So it counts as a cupcake.

Anyway, I have never made cheesecake before, but it seemed like it would be any easy task to change the baby cheesecake cuppies to a Passover friendly dessert.

IMG_4843

First, you need to start with the crust.  It will seem like it is too crumby, but it actually worked!  Thanks again, Mama Baa Baa for the recipe :)  Of course, if you want to make year-round cuppies, just use regular graham cracker crust (recipe here)

Passover Friendly Cheesecake Crust - Enough for 24 cupcakes

  •  1 cup matzah cake meal (available in the Kosher section or online here)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir together with a wooden spoon until the contents become uniform.
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of crust mixture to each cupcake liner.
  3. Press the crust mixture firmly onto the bottom of each cupcake liner with your fingers.  
  4. Bake at 325 F for 5-8 minutes, or until firm.  The crust will not turn brown during this time.
Alright, now onto the real fun! I used Martha Stewart's recipe for mini cheesecakes with raspberry swirls (online here).  For the cream cheese, I used half non-fat and half low-fat for this recipe.  No one could tell!  Also, I didn't really know what she meant by a roasting pan, but what I did was use a glass pan that I normally use for sheet cake that fit snuggly underneath the cupcake tin.  You want to fill the "roasting pan" with enough water so that the bottoms of the cupcakes are immersed in water.  Just be careful when you turn the pan around halfway through.  I spilled a bunch of water and gave my cheesecakes a little steam bath.

IMG_4845

Obviously, I need to work on my swirls.  They didn't come out as pretty as Martha's.  I bet that if you have any experience with making those pretty designs in cappuccino that you would be good at this kind of decorating, too!

IMG_4847

Oh, and my tip for storing the cuppies:  Keep them in the tins as they cool in the fridge for 4 hours.  Once they have become more solid and keep their shape you can move them to a tupperware container.

This is how the cuppies were displayed at the seder I went to tonight:

photo (26)
Heehee... now you can't see my ugly swirls!

And what they looked like cut in half:

photo (2)

As fun as it was to experiment with matzah flour, I'm looking forward to using flour again in my baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis