Sunday, March 7, 2010

Vanilla and Pomegranate Cupcakes



For over a decade, I have wanted to have a murder mystery dinner party.  Mystery was my favorite genre growing up, and experiencing a "mystery" firsthand would therefore be awesome.

This weekend I realized my dream by having a murder mystery party!  My friend JT told me that she had a successful party with the Murder at the Four Deuces party kit.  It's a 1920's themed party (but not for the youngins - it involves a brothel!) and has everything necessary to host a fun get together!  It wasn't too difficult to arrange, although finding a night where 16 people were free was a little bit of a challenge...



My roommates and I decided to make it a pot luck due to the size of the party.  My contribution was cupcakes (duh).  I couldn't think of a good cake for the cupcakes.  Alcoholic cupcakes sounded fun, but there is something about bootleg whiskey cupcakes that seems incredibly unappetizing.  After scrapping an idea to make chocolate coconut cupcakes, I decided to go for vanilla cake with pomegranate frosting.  Topped with pomegranate seeds, it made the cupcakes appear to have little jewels on them!



I used my go-to vanilla cupcake recipe for the base.  It's just so.... good.  And easy to make.  

When I started planning this party months ago, I picked out some cupcake liners that I deemed appropriate for a 1920's themed party.  I found the ones pictures below from Fancy Flours.  Not only are they gorgeous and from Sweden (!), they are also grease-proof so they don't become translucent and lose their color after baking.



As for the frosting, I just used a little pomegranate juice!  So easy.




Baa Baa Pomegranate Frosting  - Makes enough to generously frost approximately 15 cupcakes 

  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice

  1. Cream the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy in a large bowl.  This should take a few minutes.
  2. Add the sugar one cup at a time.  Beat with the electric mixer on medium-high speed.  After two cups of sugar have been added, add the pomegranate juice.
  3. Continue to add the remaining 2 cups of sugar.  Aerate the mixture on high speed until fluffy.
  4. You can always add more or less sugar or juice until you get the frosting until your liking.  



I was tempted to eat all of the pomegranate seeds, but once I saw how good they looked on the cupcakes I was able to let them go.



People really enjoyed the cupcakes at the party!  Here are a couple of pictures of people enjoying the cuppies:

It's not hard to see why Caroline won best costume

Jack, AKA Inspector Nutella, enjoying a cupcake before arresting the murderer

2 comments:

  1. Am loving your blog! Really inspirational !!!
    I have opened a cupcake forum, and it's so quiet, i need lovely people like you to help me liven it up a bit?

    Would love to see you there and chatting

    nicola
    x

    www.cupcake-crazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun! I love mysteries too. This sounds like a fun party for next Halloween.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis