Monday, March 15, 2010

Zucchini Spice Cupcakes


When I was in college, I was on the fencing team (sabre, for those of you in the know).  One of my favorite parts of away meets was when Erin's mom brought homemade zucchini bread.  I don't really like zucchini all that much, and once I was able to get over my initial skepticism of zucchini in a bread, I feel head over heels.  I would eat so much that sometimes Erin's mom would bring me my very own load.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I have been meaning to make the zucchini spice cupcakes form Martha Stewart, and this past weekend I finally purchased some zucchini. Of course, it will taste better if you ground your own fresh spices, but I don't have that kind of time (unfortunately).

Zucchini Spice Cupcakes - Adapted from Martha Stewart - makes 24

  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 3 cups grated zucchini (about 1.5 zucchini)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
  2. Grate your zucchini so that it will be ready when the time comes for it to be added.  This was a very messy process for me:    

However, when it's all said and done, you will have a beautiful bowl of grated zucchini:


3.  Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to a medium sized bowl.  Mix with a whisk.
A pretty boring picture, but I had such good light in my kitchen that day
4.  In a large bowl with an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the oil, eggs, and lemon zest.
5.  Stir in the brown sugar until fully combined, but do not overmix.
6.  Stir in the flour mixture, again taking care not to overmix.  
7.  Lastly, stir in the zucchini.  The batter will be sticky and thick.
8.  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
9.  Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then place on a cooling rack.


 You have to eat at least one warm out of the oven.  Honestly, they don't even need frosting because they are THAT good.  However, people don't like naked cupcakes, so I went ahead and topped them with Martha's cream cheese frosting.  Let me warn you that her recipe will make far more frosting than you will need.   They would also be good with some powdered sugar sprinkled on top in lieu of frosting. 


And there you have it.  A tasty treat that you can tell yourself is healthy because it has a green veggie in it.  

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis