Sunday, April 4, 2010

Chicks and Sheep

chick cupcakes

I have never ventured into the land of fondant-covered cupcakes.  I saw a picture of some chick cupcakes that were made with fondant. They looked pretty simple, so I decided to try to make my own version.   And they are  super easy to make.   All you need is:

  • Yellow, white, and black fondant (you can buy them pre-colored or use gel colors)
  • Orange chocolate-covered sunflower seeds (or some other small orange candy)
  • Fondant rolling pin
  • Clean surface
  • Corn Starch
  • 3" diameter round cookie cutter
  • Small circle cutter, or the back of a icing tip
This is what my workspace looked like:

IMG_4863

Once you have made the cupcakes and have allowed them to cool, cut off the tops so that you are working with a flat surface.

IMG_4861

Next, cover the top of the cupcake with some frosting.  I used a vanilla buttercream.  It's not all that important if it's smooth because it will be covered by fondant.

IMG_4862
Am I the only person that makes it snow confectioner's sugar when I make 

Sprinkle your workspace with some of the corn starch, which will prevent your fondant from sticking to the surface.  Next, roll out your yellow fondant until it's thin (maybe 1/2 of a centimeter?) and use your 3" cookie cutter to cut out a yellow circle. 

IMG_4867

You will notice that your circle is much larger than the top of your cupcake.  That's OK!  Just cover the top of the iced cupcake with the yellow fondant circle. It will allllll work out.

IMG_4869

Onto making the face!  Roll out the white fondant (again, use corn starch to keep it from sticking).  Use the back of an icing tip (I used a Wilton tip, or you can use a very small circle cookie cutter if you have one) and cut out two eyes.  Use the black fondant (or a mini M&M) for the pupils.  As far as the beak and feet, I used a combination of icing and a toothpick to make a hole for the orange chocolate-covered sunflower seeds.  For the wings, just use some of the yellow fondant.  To get all of the fondant pieces to stick to the original yellow body, just either use some water or frosting.  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of all of the different face steps because I was too excited to see what it would look like... :)

single chick cupcake

I am pretty sure that I giggled with joy after making these.  And then promptly took pictures with my phone and started sending them to friends like crazy.  EEP!  

IMG_4874

I just love how fat and round their faces are.  I even made one with some hair.

IMG_4877

The reason why you can use the 3" cookie cutter is because with all of that yummy frosting underneath you need a little extra fondant to cover the sides.

IMG_4870

I made my little chickys, but I couldn't stop there.  This blog is called BAA BAA Cupcake, after all....

sheep cupcake

Heehee! Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  And now they are just one big happy family.

chicks and sheep

The problem with making cute cupcakes is that no one seems to want to eat them.  Really, I make them to be eaten! Otherwise I would make them out of clay.

IMG_4883

And just a reminder! I'm giving away some cute cupcake-themed goodies.  Just leave a comment here with your favorite kind of cupcake and a way to reach you.  The giveaway ends this Thursday at 5pm EST.  Good luck!

IMG_4872

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, these are too cute. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! How did they taste? I've heard fondant does not taste very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't eat them because it's Passover. I buy Wilton brand fondant and it just tastes sugarry, but hard to describe. You can also just peel it off and eat the cupcake and frosting underneath :) there are also different brands. Oh, and you can make your own from marshmallow (which I haven't done because I don't eat gelatin).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first post disappeared...
    Where did you get that cutter set? Its amazing and seems very useful! Also, place to find those chocolate covered seeds? I can't find them anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone, for the kind comments!
    Anna - I got the cutter set from Ikea fall '09. I get my chocolate covered seeds at Trader Joes, but they also sell them at Borders and Cost Plus World Market :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah ! these are just too darn cute <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAAW! I just love that little sheep! As you might have noticed, I have a weakness for them :)

    http://lambaround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love these! The chicks are adorable, and the sheep is great. Can't wait to try them out myself!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis