Thursday, April 29, 2010

Flower Basket Thank You Cake

Thanks you cake

I finished my last rotation of my third year of  medical school yesterday!  Technically, it ends with my exam tomorrow morning, but clinic ended yesterday.  I had such a fabulous time in my family medicine clinic.  A good variety of patients, great staff, hilarious MAs, and an office full of friendly people.  I wanted to bring them a cake to thank them.

Cake from the side

The cake was actually the "grand finale" for my level 2 Wilton Cake Class.  I learned how to do the basket weave and rope border that you can see in the above pictures.  The flowers I made out of royal icing.

Inside the cake

It's was a three layer vanilla cake with white chocolate buttercream filling with fresh strawberries, covered in white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream and then another type of buttercream that's easier to pipe. Lots and lots of buttercream!

Last bit of cake

I am very happy with how the cake came out.  I was sort of skeptical because I had a very hard time with the flowers, but all in all I think that it came out nicely.  Maybe too nicely.  No one would cut into the cake for over an hour!

Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll have time to take a cake class again until the end of the summer.... until then.... back to cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I bet the wedding cake you are planning will be even better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis