Sunday, April 25, 2010

Made in Michigan: JIFFY!!

IMG_4975

I had the best day ever last Thursday. 

No, really.  Let me explain...

Last Thursday Jeremy and I went to see what inpatient family medicine is like in Chelsea, MI.  After rounding with the attending and checking out the hospital, we had a nice little lunch in town.  We still had some time before afternoon clinic.  After unsuccessfully looking for organic roses, we stumbled upon this sight:

jiffy plant!

THE JIFFY MIXES PLANT!!!!!!!!

I always see those blue and white boxes at the grocery store, but I had no idea that it was a Michigan company.  I immediately became obsessed with the idea that we needed to go on a tour of the plant.  I couldn't stop talking about it.  We decided to head on over to the building and inquire about tours.

In the Jiffy office they had a cute little display of the Jiffy boxes over the years:

jiffy throughout the years

My excitement increased as the nice lady behind the desk called to see if there was a tour going on right then.  We were in luck!  There was a tour of third graders about to walk through the factor.  Unfortunately, we missed the slide show on the history of Jiffy.

Jeremy and I walked around the building and met up with the group of third graders.  They quizzically looked at us, probably because I couldn't stop talking about how awesome everything was.  We were greeted with Jiffy sugar cookies, juice, and some awesome bouffant hats to wear inside the factor.  

team jiffy 
Yep, that's us being awesome right before going into the factory.

Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take pictures while inside the factory.  But let me tell you, it was SO cool.  Machines everywhere folding boxes, making bags, filling boxes with mix.  There was an entire interstate of conveyor belts bringing boxes form area of the factory to another.  I couldn't believe how much the machines did!  They make a million boxes a day! Whoa!  I also couldn't help but think of Adam Smith and the Wealth of Nations - I'm a historian at heart.

Anyway, I definitely recommend checking out the plant if you're in the area.  Tours are free, and you get two free boxes of Jiffy Mix!  I picked out brownie and banana muffin.  The whole afternoon I told everyone in the office that would listen about how great the Jiffy tour was.  I was tickled pink!

IMG_4981

Today I made mini cupcake brownies from the Jiffy mix.  They were super easy to make (and the mix is less than a dollar at the grocery store).  I added a cup of white chocolate chips to them, but they all sank to the bottom for some reason.  I topped them with a little buttercream frosting (not that it neeeded it). 

IMG_4985

Oh, and did I mention that the plant in Chelsea is the ONLY plant?  That means when you see a Jiffy truck you know that it came from Michigan!

jiffy truck!

Wow, I didn't realize that I have so much Michigan pride!  :)

Oh, and were you wondering what's in the tall silo?

jiffy silo

Michigan white winter wheat!

Thanks, Jiffy, for such a fun adventure! 

4 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! Jiffy mixes are the best and the perfect amount for one person or a couple.

    Oh, I put chocolate chips in batter once too and they sank to the bottom as well. I think they need to be slightly melted first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad went on a tour of this factory without me awhile back. I was so jealous! It sounds like you had fun :)

    Jiffy Blueberry Muffins were a pantry staple when I was growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog! :) I found it from "My Cupcake Day" (and in particular the little chicks which I think are fantastic!).

    On how to prevent the chocolate chips from sinking ... I've read if you coat them in some flour (or maybe some of the dry mix) before mixing into the batter, they'll stay suspended. Maybe you could try that the next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog! I was looking for pictures of cupcakes for inspiration and came across your work. It's hard to believe you can get so much baking done while in your residency! Great job.

    The trick for chocolate chips is, like Carrie said, to roll them in something dry first, so they stick in the wet batter and won't sink. If I'm making chocolate cake or cupcakes, I shake them in a ziploc bag with cocoa powder; if light cake, in powdered sugar. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis