I went to a birthday party for one of my classmates over the weekend and decided that it would be a good time to try out some margarita cupcakes. I used the recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but used regular milk and the like.
The reactions I got were somewhere in the range of "WHOA! Tequila!" (even when I warned people that there was tequila in it) to "mmmm it tastes just like a margarita." You can still taste the tequila in the cake after it comes out of the oven. You definitely want to use fresh lime juice, but if you're short on limes save the fresh lime juice for the frosting and (I guess) use the artificial stuff for the batter. The lime taste really makes the cake, I think.
For the rim of sugar around the outside, I used India Tree sparkling sugar. I purchased mine at Marshalls, but you can find them online here. I just sprinkled the sugar around the edge of the cupcake. I don't really have good results with rolling the edges of the cupcake into a bowl of sugar.
Margarita Cupcakes - Makes 12 - adapted from Vegan Cupcakes...
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 5 limes)
- zest from one lime
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the lime juice, zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar together until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the liquid mixture and mix until the batter is smooth on medium-high speed.
- Fill the paper liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack.
Ok, time for the frosting! You won't be baking out the alcohol that's in here, so just warn your guests. I didn't feel like it needed any food coloring to make it look green.
Margarita Icing - Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- generous pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Fluff the butter with an electric mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add the milk, lime juice, salt, and tequila and continue to mix on medium-high speed.
- Slowly add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time will continuously mixing on medium-low speed. Continue mixing until all of the sugar is added and the mixture is smooth.
I think that these cuppies just want to party. They are ready to have a good time :)