Sunday, August 1, 2010

Camp fun: Cupcake decorating

260

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently came back from working at a camp for children with bleeding disorders run by the Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan.  The first week had kids ages 6-10 and the second week was ages 11-13.  For the second week, counselors were able to devise of an activity that the campers could do every day that would help them develop a skill.  I had a cupcake decorating class!  

38704_407693167955_505327955_4536319_5184674_n
Josh and me at the activity fair

I had a total of 8 campers, half boys and half girls. We made beach themed cupcakes (like the ones I made here), owls, dirt cups, sunflowers, grills, and had some free decorate time.

283

The first day Karl, the head of the kitchen, asked if my cupcake class would decorate 96 mini-cupcakes so that the entire camp could have them for the evening snack.

199

I said that it was no problem, but it was a little stressful showing kids how to pipe frosting with zip-lock bags and then asking them to decorate 96 mini-cupcakes in less than 45 minutes.

219

I loved how different all of the cupcakes were!  One of my campers made the monster cupcake in the picture above.  So creative!  I think that the kids really liked that their friends got to eat the cupcakes that they decorated, too.  The counselors liked that there were so many extra cupcakes....

34865_414361260865_714580865_5237239_3775960_n
Stevens, Brad, and Harvey chow down in the kitchen


Here are a couple of the owls people made:

owl

275


I have to give a big THANK YOU to all of my co-counselors at camp that helped me set up and keep kids on task during the class.  It was so much fun, and it makes me want to do a cupcake decorating session with my friends at home!

4 comments:

  1. Nice story. Good pictures. And I want an owl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea to have the kids decorate cupcakes...I wish that had been an activity at my camp! And they turned out insanely cute, especially the monster and owl ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just found your blog through Cupcakes Take the Cake!

    I love the owls - they always end up turning out so cute and silly! I made some pink ones with friends recently that were a fun twist.

    ______________
    http://the-crafty-penguin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so fun, Carolyn! And penguins are my absolute FAVORITE animal :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis