Monday, September 13, 2010

The Eyes Have It

green eyes cupcakes\

I like making medicine-themed cupcakes (remember my surgery ones?).  I was very eager to make eyeball cupcakes for Monica, who wanted to give them as a thank you to people who helped her with her residency application in ophthalmology.  I have made silly eye cupcakes before for Halloween in the past, but I wanted to these be a little more true to life.

eye lolipops


I found the above eye lollipops at a local dollar store (you have to love that it's early September and the Halloween goods are already out!).  I unfortunately was unable to remove the stick without completely ruining the lollipop.  I therefore cut off the bottom of the stick in order to just have eyeballs.  Of course, people that received the cupcake were forewarned that the eye was a hard candy and that there was a not-so-tasty plastic stick inside.  I have also seen gummy eyeball candy that would work well.

bowl of eyes

I used fondant for the eyelids. I used a combination of Wilton creamy peach and Wilton brown gel paste coloring to achieve a color that resembles the dummies in our simulation lab.  If you don't want to mess with the food coloring, you can always try Wilton's fondant natural colors pack.  i used a 3" round cookie cutter to cut out a circle.  I cut the circle in half and rolled it out more with a rolling pin to a more oval shape so that it stretched partly over the eye candy.

putting on eye lashes


For the eyelashes, the lovely Sara painstakingly placed black sprinkles in the fondant around the eye.  It was not easy, which is why the eyelashes are a little spaced out. 

eye cupcakes!


I have to be honest. I love how they turned out! Yes, a little gross I suppose, but they definitely look like eyes.  It's nice to have an excuse to be creative and get away from hearts and flowers. 

5 comments:

  1. I am just in love with your blog, just happened on it a few minutes ago. I love your posts about the wedding...they looked fantastic, I'm sure the Bride and Groom where just overjoyed with the finished product! I am following your blog and looking forward to many more wonderful posts. Stop by and visit me when you get a chance, sweetmagnoliacupcakes.blogspot.com
    Cheers, R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, these are excellent! A great idea for Halloween, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cute. I'm thinking of minor changes that would make them a bit scarier and perfect for Halloween. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis