Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Caramel Apple Cupcakes

IMG_5381

The leaves are changing colors and the air is crisp.  Fall is here.  My roommates and I decided to celebrate by having a fall-themed party over the weekend.  I, not so surprisingly, was in charge of the cake desserts.  I somewhat feel pressured to never repeat the same recipe at parties, so I tried Stephani Pollack of the Cupcake Project's Caramel Apple recipe.  I selected it not only because her recipes always turn out delish, but also because I like that it included apple butter.  I decided to give it a go.

You can check out her recipe here.  If you plan on making mini-cupcakes, it will make over 4 dozen and the baking time will be closer to 14 minutes.  It is a great apple cake recipe.  Next time I might even add more fresh apples to the mix.

IMG_5377


To make them caramel apple cupcakes, I devised a caramel frosting recipe with the help of Erin, my taste tester and fabulous baking helper.

Caramel Buttercream Frosting

  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 cups (approximately 1 pound) confectioner's sugar
  • 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
  1. Cream the butter until pale and fluffy.  
  2. Add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time to the confectioner's sugar.  Mix on high speed for about 15 seconds after each addition to keep the frosting nice and fluffy.
  3. Add the caramel ice cream topping to the frosting and mix well.  Once completely combined, mix on high speed for 20-30 seconds to aerate the frosting and keep it fluffy. 


The frosting and cupcake combination was a success.  We added some fall sprinkles because sprinkles make everything more fun.


IMG_5371

While making these cupcakes, I couldn't help but think back to my first year of medical school when Sara and I made apple pie.  I had never made apple pie before, and I didn't know that apple pie required cinnamon.  Sara was in shock at my lack of knowledge of the blissful union of apples and cinnamon.  Reflecting on these cupcakes, that 1 tsp of cinnamon is pretty important :)

2 comments:

  1. are these similar to the ones you made last year for halloween but drizzled in caramel? am i just making that up?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis